The Hawk-Mo Hotwire

Micro Entrepreneurism, Simple Living & Art

What’s your 80/20?

So I have finally gotten around to reading the 4 day workweek. A book I picked up about 2 years ago. And tonight I get to this part about the 80/20 rule. Essentially, the theory is, that 20% of your inputs, equals 80% of your outputs. As the author applied it to work, 20% of his customers = 90% of his business. And those customers took up way less then 20% of his time. The other time was spent chasing the other 80% that didn’t make him much money anyways.

I take that concept and apply it to our sales and realize that less then 10% of our business is wholesale, and yet chasing those customers down is what I have been worrying most about this year and thinking about for next year’s growth. But our money is made in direct to customer sales. Our 20% that equals 90% is making good products, with good online presence, and  happy customers. So that’s where we are going to spend our time this year… Focusing on our products,  and on our customers and finding ways to grow our tribe.

Take that principle and apply it to my life and things get a little trickier. There are so many different angles to take. I went totally big picture first – What 20% makes me feel like an 80% happier better version of me? My immediate answer is exercise and yoga. Because those activities give me the quiet and clarity of mind to do other things better. To create. To love. To cook. To grow. To make choices. To take action.

Is it that I shouldn’t worry about the other 80% that doesn’t contribute as much? Or is it that I now can better recognize the value of those 20% activities, and therefore make them a more important part of my life, rather then an add on if I have time?

I challenge you, to think about the 80/20 divide in your life. What does it give you a reason to focus on? And what does it give you a reason to stop worrying about? Please comment.

Advertisements

About mudly

Mud is main blog writer extraordinaire, picture guru, and the garden and adventure instigator. She loves to cook, but doesn’t much like following a recipe. She also loves typewriters, the color turquoise, and wearing tie dye with stripes. And she dorks out on permies.com while dreaming up and planning her next garden.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on December 21, 2011 by in Everything All in One Place.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 46 other followers

Archives

%d bloggers like this: